ENVIRONMENTAL & SUSTAINABILITY STATEMENT
Castleknock Hotel recognises the importance and encouragement of environmental best-practice to ensure the long-term sustainability of the tourism industry. We are committed to a sustainable future and to improving the social, economic and environmental well-being of the community. Castleknock Hotel is focused on the implementation of the highest standards of environmental practice resulting in an environmentally friendly organisation. With everyone working together we can look forward to a cleaner and safer environment.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
At Castleknock Hotel, we have an increasing focus on the environment by establishing a sustainable consciousness across the Hotel, Restaurants, The Spa, Tonic Health Club and our surroundings. Castleknock Hotel is committed to the following sustainable activities:
Click Here to see our Environmental Policy.
- We are active members of Repak and are continuously working on our recycling and waste management systems. Repak is a not-for-profit packaging recycling scheme funded by contributions from over 3,000 participating member companies.
- Fuel efficient and environmentally friendly (CHP) SYSTEM to provide a combined output of heat/steam and power.
- We analyse and report monthly on our waste, electricity, gas, carbon, and water consumption reductions.
- Two Electric Vehicle Charging Units on the hotel grounds provided by the ESB.
- Installed LED lighting and motion sensors to reduce energy consumption.
- We have a BMS SYSTEM in place to reduce and maintain our energy consumption. This system involves shutting down electronics that are not in use such as lights.
- Aerators fitted throughout the property to reduce water usage.
- We encourage our suppliers and contractors to participate in our efforts to protect the environment.
- We are working on minimising the printing of brochures and are sourcing eco-friendly gift and marketing products.
- Signage throughout the hotel asking guests to turn off lights and electrical equipment when leaving guest/meeting room including air conditioning, phone chargers, laptops and coffee machines.
- We have natural plants across the property to recycle the air.
- Make every possible effort to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- Send e-invoices where possible to reduce the amount of paper that we use and re-use paper at the front desk and offices.
- All office paper waste is collected for composting.
- Cardboard packaging, newspapers, magazines, glass, cans, plastic bottles, used light bulbs and batteries are all returned to our suppliers or collected for recycling.
- All guests bedrooms have a recycling compartment in each bin to assist in the separation of dry/mixed waste.
- Electricity is activated by a key card, we request that guests turn off lights & air conditioning when leaving their room.
- We provide single-use toiletries in the bedrooms with 300 ml refillable Elemis bottles.
- Long-term guests have their sheets changed every third day.
- Encourage all guests to reuse towels and bathrobes.
- Menus and information leaflets have been replaced by QR Codes to reduce paper consumption.
- Magazines in guest bedrooms have been replaced with a complimentary online version.
- Express check out available for all guests. Bills/invoices can be emailed post-stay.
RESTAURANT & BAR
- We have an emphasis on reducing food waste and our Executive Head Chef sources local ingredients wherever possible to reduce carbon footprint.
- Built a herb garden in 2020 for use by our Head Chef and kitchen team.
- All food waste is collected for composting.
- We have introduced paper straws and bamboo swizzle sticks in our Bar & Restaurants.
- Takeaway coffee cups are 100% recyclable.
- All our water bottles used in bars/restaurants and bedrooms are made of glass, therefore are reusable or fully recyclable.
- Our Green Team is led by Alex Staskunas Hotel Operations Manager and meets every two weeks to report and action on all green opportunities for the hotel.
- We provide all employees with the training and resources required to meet our objectives as part of their induction and monthly training.
- Walk or cycle to work, we contribute to the cycle to work scheme, provide storage for bikes and encourage local recruitment.
In 2022 we will produce an annual Environmental Plan setting out our objectives, targets and planned actions across all areas of the hotel. Castleknock Hotel is committed to managing our environmental impacts in a responsible way.
We have recently achieved a Bronze Award from Green Tourism and hope to strive for Silver and Gold Awards in the near future.